[GTALUG] fail2ban problem

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Thu Aug 30 02:27:27 EDT 2018

Hi,
Well, named is pretty smart and knew the requests were bogus, as
indicated by the "denied".  My named is still resolving valid requests
for my domain.

And fail2ban does support this very circumstance. I had to edit
fail2ban's built in regex for named before it would work. I am guessing
that bind added a field into the security.log message that broke the regex.

For any that care, since I use shorewall as my firewall, I also had to
modify the fail2ban banaction to use shorewall instead of iptables, and
modify shorewall to dynamic blacklist ALL connections.

After all this is done, my ppp connection sees the bogus requests but
silently ignores them.

On 08/29/18 23:29, ac via talk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> normally, i would not respond to a post like yours :)
>
> when people ask your dns server a question, they are not logging into
> your system. - so fail2ban is not the correct tool
>
> the correct answer is any of the below:
> you need to write a program or a script
> for example on a small single system - one that checks your logs and
> then adds an iptables rule to your firewall - larger
> systems/clusters simply customize bind or maybe rate limit
> connections (check your named.conf - rate limit) and/or a
> combination of these things - there are also many other ways to stop
> this (for example forward write to your routers (if you have
> routers) etc.
>
> hth
>
> Andre
>
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 20:40:16 -0400
> Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> I am experiencing what I believe is a DNS amplification attack on my
>> bind9 DNS server.
>>
>> I'm seeing very of the following on different IPs
>> 20:11:53.977254 IP 108.234.250.76.62926 > 69.265.222.253.53: 50679+
>> [1au] ANY? USADF.GOV. (38)
>>
>> My server responds
>> 20:11:53.977776 IP 69.265.222.253.53 > 108.234.250.76.62926: 50679
>> Refused- 0/0/1 (38)
>>
>> I imagine the IPs are spoofed.
>> I have installed fail2ban in order to address the problem. Various
>> howtos detail how to configure bind to log to
>> /var/log/named/security.log and setup fail2ban.
>>
>> The security.log is filling nicely with lots of "29-Aug-2018
>> 20:23:07.798 client @0x7fa1d013b990 66.69.234.170#29024 (USADF.GOV):
>> query (cache) 'USADF.GOV/ANY/IN' denied" and fail2ban is indicating
>> "Jail 'named-refused' started" but it never actually bans an IP.
>>
>> 2) I used fail2ban-regex to test the security.log line against
>> fail2bans named-refused regex, but its doesn't match! So I have to
>> conclude either debian bind9 changed the log output or fail2ban git
>> it wrong.
>>
>> I'm using the latest fail2ban from debian. Has anyone else got this
>> to work?

Michael Galea