[GTALUG] Peter Hiscocks

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:28:29 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-15 11:12 PM, David Mason via talk wrote:
> I regret to say that Peter died a week or so ago. He was always curious
> and willing to experiment with all sorts of things.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Peter will be greatly missed.

-----------

Obituary: HISCOCKS, Peter - Passed away on August 1, 2018 at age 73.

We regret to report the passing of Peter, beloved husband, father,
brother, activist, and all-around excellent human being.

Over the years Peter has been a founding member of the Women in
Engineering Summer camp, involved with the Coalition for Gun Control,
and was a driving force for the reduction of light pollution in the city
of Toronto.

As a professor at Ryerson university, Peter left his mark on students in
electrical engineering and theater courses alike and accumulated a host
of entertaining stories he was happy to share at the drop of a hat.

Following his retirement, he directed some of his effort to his
business, Syscomp Electronic Design, providing low-cost digital
electrical instrumentation around the world.

In June, he celebrated 50 years of happy marriage to his wife Dorothy
while riding a train through the Rockies. Other notable trips include
professor-exchanges in Brazil and China, a trip to New York with his
daughter where they managed to see several planes and an aircraft
carrier but not the Statue of Liberty, and a lovely series of trips with
his wife to Bermuda, Eastern Europe, and Costa Rica that hopefully made
up for their horrible honeymoon.

Among other things, Peter was known for lending a hand, falling from
high places, finding clever solutions, the school of approximate
carpentry, owning too many oscilloscopes and telescopes, occasionally
setting things on fire or extinguishing them, a love of trapdoors,
antennas, and analog circuitry, and overall being a kind, generous,
loving teddy-bear of a man.

He will be deeply missed