[GTALUG] blackmail

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Aug 4 00:47:09 EDT 2018

I received a blackmail message by email.  It claimed that they hacked my
system and had compromising videos from my computer's camera.

As proof, they gave me what they claimed was my password.  But I only used
that password on two sites: canadacomputers.com and
xpresscanada.com (a long-dead Canada Computers site).

So I'm not worried.

I informed CC about three weeks ago.  They seemed to ignore the
report.  I phoned again two weeks ago, and they were interested.  I
told them if I didn't hear that they'd informed their customers that
I'd publicize this security breach.

I've heard nothing else.  So I presume that they have not announced it
to their customers.

Today I got another blackmail message with the same password.

What do you think that I should do?

PS: my password is a random string generated by mkpasswd(1) so it would
not have been discovered by an online exhaustive search.  They most likely
filched the password file from CC.

PPS: I'm glad that I don't reuse passwords!