[GTALUG] CRT memories [was Re: IBM - cache skirmish story.]

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Apr 24 23:00:15 EDT 2018

On 04/24/2018 10:37 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
>>> They weren't spring based, just a loose coil of wire.
>>>

>> Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation under
>> Spring reverberators.
>> These are the ones I knew of but there may have been some other
>> devices based on other operating principles.
> I remember those reverb springs, from back when I was a kid.  The delay
> lines I'm referring to look like the one pictured in this link.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory#Magnetostrictive_delay_lines

Ah now that is interesting.
Sending bits down the line as sound waves is an interesting concept.
You would need to feed them from the output back into the input along
with some timing signals to use it for memory.
I got into computers when core memory was on its way out so I never got
to see any systems built using this kind of technology.

cheap mass produced bits in silicon has made a whole bunch of really
interesting technologies go away.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||