[GTALUG] CRT memories [was Re: IBM - cache skirmish story.]

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Apr 24 22:48:52 EDT 2018

On 04/24/2018 10:37 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
>>> They weren't spring based, just a loose coil of wire.
>>>

>> Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation under
>> Spring reverberators.
>> These are the ones I knew of but there may have been some other
>> devices based on other operating principles.
> I remember those reverb springs, from back when I was a kid.  The delay
> lines I'm referring to look like the one pictured in this link.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory#Magnetostrictive_delay_lines

Forgot to mention, that brass rod at the front is threaded and used to
position the pick up transducer, which is that blue block.  You'd range
the delay line by jamming a key to provided constant characters and then
adjust the screw one way and then the other, to the point the text on
the display started breaking up and then set it half way between the 2
points.