[GTALUG] CRT memories [was Re: IBM - cache skirmish story.]

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Apr 24 19:51:02 EDT 2018

On 04/24/2018 03:10 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> I forgot to mention the amazing plasma technology invented at
> University of Illinois for the Plato project.
>
> <https://ece.illinois[edu/newsroom/article/9931>

[snip]

Another thing CRT displays were useful for was "the magic of science" demos.

Take a flyback connector and disconnect it from the tube.
Turn it upside down and stick a pencil in it striking straight up.
Create a little hat from a cigarette tinfoil and stick some straight
pins on the outside edge pointing in opposite directions.
Balance the had on the pencil tip.
Turn on the power.

The high voltage will cause electrons to stream from the ends of the
pins making the little hat rotate.
You have an ion drive ;)

Try that with your skinny little LCD display.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||