[GTALUG] Recommendations for a root filesystem

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Apr 19 21:20:20 EDT 2018

There is md-cache or you could try bcachefs.

I have used md-cache caching to SSD and it looks to make a really
significant speed improvment.

I tried bcache a few years ago but it was a pain since it was not yet
integrated into the Fedora code base and although bcachefs looks
interesting I believe its still a case of build your own kernel to run it.

On 04/19/2018 07:47 PM, David Collier-Brown via talk wrote:

> I'm running Fedora, and want a filesystem with a write cache that I
> can put on flash, as I occasionally run some evil write-intensive
> tasks. I'd love to simulate the Sun trick of flash for write cache and
> ephemeral for read cache.
>
> Alas, my brain is roughly at the samfs/qfs level (a predecessor of
> zfs) and it's not clear what of the more modern filesystem I should
> consider for everyday use.
>
> --dave
>
> --
> David Collier-Brown,         | Always do right. This will gratify
> System Programmer and Author | some people and astonish the rest
> davecb at spamcop.net            |                      -- Mark Twain

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||