[GTALUG] SSD wear leveling [was Re: Build critique request and the story behind it.]

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:47:36 EDT 2018

On April 19, 2018 3:29:42 PM CDT, "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
>| blkdiscard(8) looks useful.  You could apply it to the whole disk
>before
>| you start (re-)partitioning.
>
>I don't know if you can apply it to a partition.  For example,
>/dev/sda3.  The man page does not inform me.

Apparently mkfs.ext4, with discard enabled will scarify the inodes when the filesystem  is created.

www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/8-mkfs.ext4/

I'm still not sure about weekly trims. That wasn't enabled by systemd by default. I had to do systemctl enable fstrim.timer in order to create the targets.

Only got to that last week. I'm kind of a slow ship turning on this build.
>---
>Talk Mailing List
>talk at gtalug.org

Russell