[GTALUG] Microsoft says its new Linux-based OS will secure IoT devices for a decade - TechRepublic

William Porquet william at 2038.org
Wed Apr 18 18:30:08 EDT 2018

Didn't Microsoft own Xenix eventually?

"Microsoft hopes that XENIX will become the preferred choice for
software production and exchange", the company stated in 1981.[8]
Microsoft referred to its own MS-DOS as its "single-user,
single-tasking operating system",[31] and advised customers that
wanted multiuser or multitaskingsupport to buy Xenix.[31][32] It
planned to over time improve MS-DOS so it would be almost
indistinguishable from single-user Xenix, or XEDOS, which would also
run on the 68000, Z8000, and LSI-11; they would be upwardly compatible
with Xenix, which BYTE in 1983 described as "the multi-user MS-DOS of
the future." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix#History

On 18 April 2018 at 18:14, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> | From: James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> |
> | What's this?  Microsoft developing a Linux based OS??
> |
> | https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-says-its-new-linux-based-os-will-secure-iot-devices-for-a-decade/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=12825460
> |
> | It's amazing the changes at Microsoft, since Bill & Steve left.
>
> If they can deliver what they promise, it's a very interesting
> offering.
>
> Most embeded software is "fire and forget".  As a customer, one cannot
> expect support longevity in IoT devices these days.  But it is really
> important.
>
> Not many companies could make that 10 year promise believable.  I wish
> it were from a more disinterested company.
>
> I currently have this queued in my MP3 player:
> "(In)Security in Home Embedded Devices"
> <https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2014/06/gettys>
> Still fresh after four years.
>
> I got to it from Getty's blog:
> <https://gettys.wordpress.com/>

William Porquet, M.A. ⁂ mailto:william at 2038.orghttp://www.2038.org/
"I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them." (Isaac Asimov)