[GTALUG] VM decisions for school laptop..

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:42:01 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:57:07AM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> > By now, you know 3rd contenders, VirtualBox. :-)  But, since Hyper-V is
> > part of Windows10, just use that.
>
> Have you ever actually used hyper-v?  What an awful interface and the
> requirement it puts on the guest is rather annoying and makes life weird
> for linux.

I use it on a regular basis on my Windows 10 mobile workstation. I didn't
have to do anything special to have Debian run within the VM so I'm not
sure what these requirements you mentioned are. Note: I only do server
stuff with these virtual machines so I don't have any need for X. If there
is something special you have to do in order to get X running, I wouldn't
be aware of it since it does not impact me.

VirtualBox is not as complex to configure because it can't do as much as
Hyper-V or VMware ESXi but those things may or may not be important for
you. I don't find its interface to be any more difficult to use than ESXi
or VirtualBox, just different. For instance, both Hyper-V and ESXi have
extensive support for virtual networks, virtual switches, VM migration,
scaling, etc. VirtualBox is more like Parallels or VMware
Fusion/Workstation. Hyper-V can do everything VirtualBox can do provided
the host OS is Windows. The converse is not true.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696