[GTALUG] VM decisions for school laptop..

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:12:03 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018, 09:22 James Knott via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> > Windows 10 has something called the Linux subsystem for Windows.
>
> However, unless I'm missing something, it's command line only.

You can do graphical things, but they require an X server running under
Windows. So the hassle factor is about the same as spinning up VirtualBox.

The Linux subsystem integration is pretty neat if you live in the command
line. It starts up instantly, and can be closed with a mouse click. The
downsides I've found:
- many familiar packages are missing, such as the entire man system. It's
been a long time since I had to remember how to install that.
- It uses a Windows cmd window for the terminal, so the copy/paste
integration is there but terrible.
- the filesystem integration is there and decent, but Windows is still a
CRLF world (mostly) so text files are more difficult.

 Stewart