[GTALUG] New Desktop PC -- debian Linux - Proposed 2 TB HDDPartitioning;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Thu Apr 12 09:28:28 EDT 2018

Many Thanks To Lennart, Bob, Giles and D. Hugh,

All very helpful. Lots to think about.

* * *
* * *

As a result of earlier advice from GTALUG members, I have already prepared two (2) USB memory stcks with bootable images, for verifying that the fresh PC build can indeed (at least): 1. boot System Rescue and 2. do a standard Linux installation:
  a.. System Rescue;
  b.. debian Linux install;
Once I get this new "baby" home, I'll start tinkering to get a final HDD configuration and debian Linux installation.

* * *
* * *

Thanks also for much useful information around using VMs to run both Linux and Windows, elicited by Michael G. in thread subject "[GTALUG] VM decisions for school laptop..".

* * *
* * *

One poster remarked that I'm "overthinking" the partitioning. So true. My Mother was a pathologically nit-picking bookkeeper -- what can I say ?? This thoroughness heritage was both the strength and the weakness of my IT career.

The unfortunate "overthinking" mental condition has much improved during the slow slide, since retirement, into old age (when mercifully, most of the brain cells for anxiety have died off from overuse :) ...

Kudos to GTALUG !!

Best,

Steve