[GTALUG] VM decisions for school laptop..

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 01:25:54 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:57 AM, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 08:05:19PM -0400, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My son is off to university for CS this fall, and will need a laptop. I'm
> > looking at purchasing one for him, so he can run Windows and Linux. I'm
> > figuring on going the VM route.
>
> I'm not too keen on recommending VM route.

Why not? Unless you have really underpowered machines, it's a perfectly
viable way to run multiple operating systems simultaneously.

> If you have the budget, get
> 2 identical laptops.  If Linux doesn't work out, it can serve as
> "backup" Windows machine.

That seems rather impractical. Would you carry two laptops "just in case"?

> > He can use both OS's but is probably more familiar with Win, and his
> courses
> > mandate a number of windows only tools. I'm heading in the direction of
> > booting Win10 and using a VM running Debian.
> >
> > A bit of research indicates that the two most popular free VM contenders
> are
> > VMware and Microsoft's Hyper-V.  Can anyone recommend one over the other?
> > Are there better choices?
>
> By now, you know 3rd contenders, VirtualBox. :-)  But, since Hyper-V is
> part of Windows10, just use that.

The version of Windows 10 matters. Windows 10 Home does not have Hyper-V.
You must be using Windows Professional or better for it to support Hyper-V.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696