[GTALUG] VM decisions for school laptop..

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Wed Apr 11 20:31:05 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-11 08:05 PM, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> A bit of research indicates that the two most popular free VM contenders are
> VMware and Microsoft's Hyper-V.  Can anyone recommend one over the other?
> Are there better choices?

A third choice is VirtualBox. I just checked the website for it and it is
available for Windows. I also noticed it is from Oracle and some people
don't like dealing with Oracle products. I've been using VirtualBox under
Linux to run an older version of Windows so I can run a 3D modelling program
that is Windows only.

One of the things that pushed me towards VirtualBox was ease of setup. I
first looked at VM Ware but found it confusing to determine which version I
would have needed to use.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/                | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.html/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                      | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172           |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>      |             --Chris Hardwick