[GTALUG] Linux container options on Windows

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:52:02 EDT 2018

Hi All,

The technical challenge I'm trying to solve is to provide an off-line
version of an API that runs on a laptop. This API would be primed with the
appropriate data set from the cloud, then would be used off-line during
data entry. Data would only be added, not modified or deleted during that
time. Once back on-line, the cloud would be updated with the new data.

It looks like Docker has a technical solution that runs a Windows VM inside
Windows, but what I'd love to have is a Linux VM running inside of Windows
that would have a self-contained web server and database.

I could probably implement this in a Windows container, but it would be so
much easier to do in Linux.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org