[GTALUG] Alternative to Rogers

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Apr 3 10:34:02 EDT 2018

First, the phone has to support WiFi calling and it has to be enabled.

The phone will then use WiFi calling when connected to WiFi.

One thing I've noticed is it's smart enough to know when the WiFi
connection does not support it.  For example, at the Mississauga
Library, it won't use WiFi calling as the library network doesn't allow
much beyond web browsers.

WiFi calling uses the same methods as Voice over LTE.  That is it uses
SIP/RTP in an IPSec VPN.  So, if a network won't pass IPSec, WiFi
calling won't work over it.

One curious thing I've noticed is it always uses IPv4, even when IPv6 is
avaialble.  Rogers provides IPv6 on both cell and cable networks.  Also,
WiFi calling provides seamless transfer between WiFi and cell networks.

I don't know what the deal is with Chattr.  I'm on Rogers.  You'll have
to call them and ask.