[GTALUG] Onavo VPN: Facebook wants your privacy

ac ac at main.me
Mon Apr 2 23:53:19 EDT 2018

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 16:07:38 +0000
Christopher Browne via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 at 11:33, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<snip>
> > It turns out that Facebook spies on this VPN traffic.  And, once
<snip>
> > (My daughter pointed this out to me.)
> Lovely.
> On the happier end of the spectrum, Firefox has an extension to combat
> Facebook data collection.
> https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/facebook-container-extension/

it is not just facebook that is (or has become) evil. tech has become
an all out arms race and it is impossible to avoid any of the top 5-10
multinationals as they have infiltrated everything.

my honest opinion is that it will not become better, sure, it may
become less discussed/trending/popular to discuss how big tech has
infiltrated our very thoughts, but it will not get any better.

how does the average person avoid amazon? how to boycott apple?
how does anyone get google out of their life? now done with facebook?
really? instagram much? whatsapp, vr? (all facebook...)

too little, too late, too powerful. so whatever anyone says is wasting
time and is meaningless.

2c

Andre