[GTALUG] Imagemagick and exif data labels question?

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:13:50 EDT 2017

I have a relatively large number of photos which I need to print with the timestamp and also add comments on the face of the image.

I'm using convert to run through the directory to apply the timestamp to the image itself.

#!/bin/bash

for file in *.jpg ; do
   convert "$file" -font <whatever> \
      -pointsize 72 -fill white -annotate +100+100  \
      %[exif:DateTimeOriginal] "new-${file}"
done

I'm also using convert to apply the comment by hand for each image.

convert <image>.jpg -gravity South  -pointsize 30 -annotate +0+120 'This is a comment.' temp1.jpg

I would like to preserve my comments as exif data and pull them out to then label the images in batches using the first example as a template.

Is it possible to define your own exif data and mung it into the image file?

Or perhaps there is a gui tool which lets you view the image and also save a comment as exif for labeling?

If I'm going to type comments I'd really like them to be part of the image record for future extraction at will.

Also if someone has suggestions on how to style and make the labeling font stand out on colour images, which are not converted to greyscale, but are then printed in black and white, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks.
--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail