[GTALUG] "Massage Passing" library?

Tim Tisdall tisdall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:05:20 EDT 2017

On 13 September 2017 at 03:24, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I have various local peripherals that I need to read and write.  From
> top of my head, I'm thinking 3 ways:

I'd go with #1, but that's assuming your peripherals are some sort of
I/O device.  Most I/O usually ends up going through a single channel
at some point (a bus, a single cable, a single radio, etc) so having
multiple threads/processes doesn't make processing any faster.  If you
wanted to separate components, you could have one process that uses
`select` to read in the data and then passes that data to the
components that process it.

ZeroMQ is pretty good for fast somewhat low-level message passing.
It's similar to OS level things, but you can have them connect over
networks and handle the details for you.