[GTALUG] From BTRFS to what?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 4 00:11:18 EDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 09:02:24PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> True enough.
> But with Redhat voting with their feet it will make the uptake of BTRFS much
> slower if at all.

I am not sure btrfs is quite ready for production use yet, so not sure
why redhat ever supported doing so in the first place.

> Remember Reiserfs? I was a great filesystem at least for my use. Much more
> reliable then the equivalent ext systems but non-technology related issues
> killed it.

Actually reiserfs was terrible and very much not reliable.  It wouldn't
tell you when it had silently destroyed your file, so it looked OK for
a long time until you noticed.  Oh and the disaster of having a disk
image of a reiserfs filesytem in your filesystem if you tried to run
the repair tool was fun.

--
Len Sorensen