[GTALUG] From BTRFS to what?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Sep 3 21:34:23 EDT 2017

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:

> True enough.
> But with Redhat voting with their feet it will make the uptake of BTRFS much
> slower if at all.
> Remember Reiserfs? I was a great filesystem at least for my use. Much more
> reliable then the equivalent ext systems but non-technology related issues
> killed it.

I see what you did there ;)

> There may be an open GPL version of ZFS(Open ZFS).
> There is bcachefs.

They may stick with XFS?

There is always NILFS too.

It's been a long time since the introduction of ZFS.  COW/log structured
(LS) filesystems still haven't really taken off.  There heve been a lot of
filesystem innovations that never flew.  I'm starting to wonder if/when
COW/LS will really get popular.  The MS-Windows fuilesystem ReOS is COW
apparently which may drive adoption of COW/LS filesystems even outside of
MS-Windows.

Cheers,

Rob