[GTALUG] Request for a talk (or a doc)

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Sep 2 12:33:37 EDT 2017

Thank you thank you thank you, Blaise.

The links you offered eventually led me to the 2008 page that actually
explained things most clearly to me
<https://cyberborean.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/compose-key-magic/>. It's not
limited to GNOME, I've happily implemented it under KDE. Now I don' t need
to switch layouts or rely on dead keys.

I've mapped the Compose key to Right-CTRL and all is good. (tried mapping
to "menu" but I think that's hardwired to a function and wasn't mappable.)

I also find that the Linux equivalent to the Windows Alt-code trick
(ALT+0XXX to give any Unicode character) has an equivalent on Linux
(Ctl-Shift-U) but it doesn't work reliably on all apps. I have no idea why
this is.

But no matter. Most of what I want can now be done easily using my
newly-mapped Compose key. Guess it can't be a standard location because
there is still a diversity of hardware keyboard layouts out there.

In any case, thanks again. I leave it to the GTALUG organizers whether this
topic merits a tutorial at a meeting.

- Evan

On 2 September 2017 at 04:17, Blaise Alleyne via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 02/09/17 04:07 AM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> > [...] I have never quite mastered how to get random
> > Unicode characters from a keyboard on a Linux desktop. I've allways been
> > able to switch keyboards, and I can do French (and some other) accents
> > using dead keys. But I've never been able to duplicate the Windows trick
> > of (for instance) ALT-0128 to get the Euro symbol.
> >
> > Most keyboards these days, in addition to Control keys, have a pair each
> > Windows and Alt keys. On my KDE desktop the Windows key brings up the
> > applications menu - fine. But if I look at
> > /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose I see references to a
> > <Multi_key>that would allow me to combine keystrokes to make ligatures
> > (such as combining "R" and "=" to make the Rupee symbol. I don' t see a
> > key marked "multi key"  and I haven't found the ability to do these
> > combined characters.
> >
> > In the KDE keyboard settings there is mention of mapping a <Meta> key to
> > one of the low-row keyboard keys ... but isn't that an EMACS thing? And
> > what is a <Hyper> key?
> >

> In GNOME, the trick is called the Compose key.
>
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/tips-specialchars.html.en
>
> You set a compose key in the GNOME settings (I like to set it as
> CapsLock personally), and hit that key and then a combination of other
> characters to get special characters.
>
> I haven't done this in KDE before, but a quick web search suggests that
> it might also be called the Compose Key in KDE:
> https://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ComposeKey
>
> HTH
>
> Blaise

Evan Leibovitch