[GTALUG] BASH on Android OS

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 31 23:29:27 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 05:51:30PM -0400, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> On 31 October 2017 at 14:38, R360 Design INC via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for the feedback. Presumably the list of linux commands in
> > Termux on Android is a subset of the full list of Linux Bash shell  (i.e.
> > Ubuntu or Redhat)

Termux is like a minimal Debian/Ubuntu console distro.  It has most
utilities and features that you used to on Linux.  So, there is very
little learning curve.

Real manpage is useful.  As well as real 'nmap' and 'ncat'.

> The set of Bash commands should be the full set of commands supported by
> Bash.
>
> The set of additional applications that you can run will, as always, depend on
> what additional applications are installed.  You probably don't have GNU
> File Utilities installed; it's somewhat more likely that you have some version
> of BusyBox installed.

Actually, the shell is full real Bash (4.4.12 on mine).  It has
"coreutils" binary which provides all the GNU coreutils functionalities,
much the same way "busybox" does.  It has "busybox", too.

> Since Android is (with some circumlocutions involving "Dalvik") a Java-based
> environment, it's likely that your Android device will not have too terribly
> much in your $PATH, and not vastly much in /bin, /usr/bin, and such.
>
> Termux (and probably some other tools similar to Termux) may offer ways
> to install more stuff...
>
> I have a Superbook
> (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andromium/the-superbook-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-laptop-f)
> somewhere nearing flight, so it's likely I'll be caring about this a
> fair bit some time soon, as I'd kinda like to be able to run Emacs in
> a Termux environment :-)

Termux has Emacs!  I just installed and tried it.  Then, I couldn't
remember how to exit out of Emacs.  Ah, yes, C-x C-c.

William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>