[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 13:37:47 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Don Tai <dontai.canada at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also council to separate your domains from your hosting provider.
> If you have a dispute with your hosting provider you should be able to
> easily switch hosts. You cannot do this if your domains and hosting are
> from the same source. It is like separating your email address from your
> internet provider. Maybe you are lucky and the host provider has farmed
> this out to a domain names company? Of provided a domain name for free
> (transfer after one year)?
>
> Bots will try to hack into your web site, and if you have business stuff
> there that is a bonus for them. A clear separation between the internet and
> your internal network is always a good idea.
>
> Whatever you can do at home you should be able to set up on your host
> provider in a test environment. The host should be able to provide a linux
> session, just like at home.
>
> Take nothing for granted when looking for a host provider. If it does not
> say backups and restores are available and free, then it is not provided.
> If not sure, then ask.
>
> Web sites are very easy to put up and maintain, depending on the package
> you wish to use. Of course having less money means having to learn more.

Hello Don

Yes - - - its clear that these two functions need to be separated. They
will be in the time leading up to renewal which happens later this year.

The web site stuff is quite challenging. I had wanted to use a LAPP stack
but the hosting firm only supports MySql. (Using Postgresql in another
application and wanted to not have to learn the differences along with all
the other 'goodies'.)

The web seems very much like a used car lot selling older cars - - - not
very straightforward at the best of times IMO!

Dee