[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Oct 30 12:04:44 EDT 2017

Many awesome tips posted to this thread !!

The one about the two-phase TTL change (not included in this reply) has been added to my DNS bag of tricks.

* * *
* * *

My personal experience -- you can go through a lot of pain and anguish on the way to finding good Internet hosting service providers. I used to say the Internet is a jungle, but really, it's more like a sewer.

One observation: web hosting services can very significantly in the market they are addressing. For example, I currently maintain accounts with two (2) hosting providers:

www.siteground.com (SG) -- For general email and website hosting and website building tools (I'm NOT a power website builder), I use SG for hosting: 1. my email (POP3 inbox, and SMTP), 2. a few (home brewed) web pages, and 3. a few FTP accounts for exchanging files. I pay SG annually US $323.40 (no tax collected). May strike some people as expensive, but for me, rock-solid reliability (especially for email hosting !!) and excellent technical support are prime. SG does have less expensive plans. Any hosting service can have an outage, but so far SG has been great for reliability. Also I love cPanel for admin work.

www.elastichosts.com (EH) -- For working more closely to the "metal" of hosting service hardware, I use EH QEMU / KVM virtual machines. I can run more VMs, but presently I have two (2) VMs: 1. stock debian Linux for hosting a home brew website with transactions and a database, currently under development (not yet online), 2. cool DragonFlyBSD (dfly) flavour of Unix, with its native HAMMER1 (soon to go to HAMMER2) filesystem. The idea is to eventually migrate the website (not yet online) from the Linux VM to the more performant (in theory:) dfly VM, to squeeze more value from hosting fees. I pay EH annually US $541.60 (plus 13% tax collected) (discounted @ 12 months hosting for the price of 10). Again, may strike some people as expensive, but for me, rock-solid reliability and excellent technical support are prime. Haven't done much work with the EH VMs lately, but every time I check in, they just start and run. EH has many server sites, my stuff runs on EH servers in Toronto.

Steve