[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

ac ac at main.me
Mon Oct 30 10:02:39 EDT 2017

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 08:18:53 -0400
Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I would also council to separate your domains from your hosting
> provider. If you have a dispute with your hosting provider you should
> be able to easily switch hosts. You cannot do this if your domains
> and hosting are from the same source. It is like separating your
> email address from your internet provider. Maybe you are lucky and
> the host provider has farmed this out to a domain names company? Of
> provided a domain name for free (transfer after one year)?

if you are not a registry or a registrar for your domain yourself, I agree a little bit :)

as a some tld registry and as a few tld's registrar myself, personally i
would rather trust me :)

In the case of general home servers, some TLD's have a central
registry, others have multiple registries, there are usually multiple
registrars and any salient advice actually depends on what TLD we are
talking about :)

In the case of .ca for example, some registrars are "shell registrars"
and they only operate an EPP system connected to a payment gateway :)

'hosting' is sub contracted even on the back of other registrars (who
also offer their own hosting) and even then it could be a re-seller
registrar that resells what the registrar already resells from say
someone like Tucows...

so, basically, ymmv but it all depends how long the piece of string is :)

> Bots will try to hack into your web site, and if you have business
> stuff there that is a bonus for them. A clear separation between the
> internet and your internal network is always a good idea.

good general advice :)

but it is not only bots, it could be some dude or dudess from n korea
facing an impossible breach target, or your wife or husband :) and/or
any number of other things... the Internetz is a very wild and busy place :)

Andre