[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 08:18:53 EDT 2017

I would also council to separate your domains from your hosting provider.
If you have a dispute with your hosting provider you should be able to
easily switch hosts. You cannot do this if your domains and hosting are
from the same source. It is like separating your email address from your
internet provider. Maybe you are lucky and the host provider has farmed
this out to a domain names company? Of provided a domain name for free
(transfer after one year)?

Bots will try to hack into your web site, and if you have business stuff
there that is a bonus for them. A clear separation between the internet and
your internal network is always a good idea.

Whatever you can do at home you should be able to set up on your host
provider in a test environment. The host should be able to provide a linux
session, just like at home.

Take nothing for granted when looking for a host provider. If it does not
say backups and restores are available and free, then it is not provided.
If not sure, then ask.

Web sites are very easy to put up and maintain, depending on the package
you wish to use. Of course having less money means having to learn more.

Don