[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 07:27:29 EDT 2017

Web hosting can be purchased on the occasional sale, such as Black Friday,
so renewal costs can be much higher. I always compare renewal costs and not
the initial loss leader signup cost. The 2.7 times higher hosting costs may
be valid, depending on the hosting services provided. Moe importantly, what
did you buy? Some hosts don't even provide on demand backup, and some hosts
will charge you for a restore. Some hosts don't provide SSH. Shared
services or a dedicated IP? Reputation, which is very important?

I would not recommend self-hosting at home. There are too many rogue bots
roaming around the world, and the possibility of hacking is near certain.
Yes, if you keep up with all the updates and monitor your server carefully
you can be ok, but I know that my hosting provider had to purchase
additional software just to deal with DDOS attacks and other intrusions.
Unless you want to take on the sys admin role, for me the hosting costs are
well worthwhile. If you are with the right host, your site becomes more
popular and you run out of ram it should be easy to upgrade.

Personally I'd rather concentrate on the web site, SEO and social media
than futz with Apache settings, so would rather be on a host provider. The
hosting costs can be pretty small, depending on what you purchase.

Don