[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 07:39:39 EDT 2017

Greetings

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Don Tai <dontai.canada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Web hosting can be purchased on the occasional sale, such as Black Friday,
> so renewal costs can be much higher. I always compare renewal costs and not
> the initial loss leader signup cost. The 2.7 times higher hosting costs may
> be valid, depending on the hosting services provided. Moe importantly, what
> did you buy? Some hosts don't even provide on demand backup, and some hosts
> will charge you for a restore. Some hosts don't provide SSH. Shared
> services or a dedicated IP? Reputation, which is very important?

I am getting an education out of this for sure.
What was purchased was 2 domains and a 3 year small business hosting
package at hostpapa.
I has become quite clear that what I got was something like buying a car.
Didn't specify that I wanted a steering wheel - - - so I need to add this.
The website builder program - - I didn't use it in the first year - - - its
now an extra fee.
Sorry - - - in setting up a complicated small business there are a mountain
of things to be done and the website was/is on the list, its just that
money is quite short and time keeps disappearing and so things get done
when they do.
Its also frustrating when you sign up for x and the renewal is quite a
large increase. One would think that the hosting companies might not want
you to move.

> I would not recommend self-hosting at home. There are too many rogue bots
> roaming around the world, and the possibility of hacking is near certain.
> Yes, if you keep up with all the updates and monitor your server carefully
> you can be ok, but I know that my hosting provider had to purchase
> additional software just to deal with DDOS attacks and other intrusions.
> Unless you want to take on the sys admin role, for me the hosting costs are
> well worthwhile. If you are with the right host, your site becomes more
> popular and you run out of ram it should be easy to upgrade.
>
> Personally I'd rather concentrate on the web site, SEO and social media
> than futz with Apache settings, so would rather be on a host provider. The
> hosting costs can be pretty small, depending on what you purchase.

That was the idea.
My server here is for managing my business - - - not for managing my
website - - - that's what I wanted hosting for.
The problem is that I want to experiment on the server here (set up various
services at very least) and somehow I can't use these domains that I have
paid for.

Likely its a case of me wanting too much and not knowing enough.
I can change the not knowing enough but haven't been able to find
information.
My hosting company is quite good at offering a lot of information with much
of it being 'non-useful'.

Thanking you for your consideration!!

Dee