[GTALUG] Web hosting questions

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 06:54:52 EDT 2017

I've seen renew contracts getting cheaper, not the other way. Moore's law
at work. If your provider is asking for more, change the provider.

Copy all content from one site to the other, put an entry on /etc/hosts for
your domain, pointing to the new IP, and test everything.

Before the move, change the TTL for your domains for a small interval
(around 5 minutes). One of two days later,  when the DNS changes had
propagated and your tests passed, change the DNS records pointing to the
new IP and restore the TTL to the old value.

Why change the TTL twice? The first time is to tell every DNS server, cache
and client that a change is imminent. When you do the change, very few
clients will have the old IP on cache, as the record expires fast. The
second change is to bring things back to normal.