[GTALUG] VMware ESXi Licensing and Quality

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:33:06 EDT 2017

I'm having some trouble figuring out the licensing on VMware's ESXi.  It's
proprietary - I've got that and I don't love it.  But Packt's "DevOps
Automation Cookbook" (2015) is essentially saying it's free to use, and
implying - I don't think they ever stated it outright - that it's
permanently free.  But on VMware's site (
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-7AFCC64B-7D94-48A0-86CF-8E7EF55DF68F.html
) it reads as if it's a 60 day evaluation, period.

Which brings up a few questions:
- is ESXi technically good enough that I should be pursuing this at all?
(I'm currently using Proxmox.  It works, I'm not entirely happy with it,
but I'll probably stick with it because of the licensing which is more open
source friendly)
- is ESXi permanently free? and can you get security updates if you're on
the free licensing?
- is there anything appalling in their license? eg. Facebook's recent
license clauses "using our products means you can't ever sue us for
anything" (point applies even though they fixed it)

Thanks.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/