[GTALUG] Adobe Reader Alternatives for Linux

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:42:59 EDT 2017

On October 11, 2017 3:05:12 PM EDT, "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>On 2017-10-11 12:49 PM, Russell wrote:
>>
>> Don't laugh, I use GIMP. Not perfect by any means …
>Hey, if it works for your application, use it! I tend to find Inkscape
>better on most non-weird PDFs.
>
>But Dhaval's example -
>http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0002E-2.pdf - was
>definitely weird. Unless you use Adobe Reader or the other proprietary
>thing I found, it renders as:
>
>  Please wait...
>
>  If this message is not eventually replaced by the
>  proper contents of the document, your PDF
>  viewer may not be able to display this type of
>  document.
>
>  You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader
>  for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
>  visiting  http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.
>
>  For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit
>  http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.
>
>  Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark
>  of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or
>  other countries. Mac is a trademark
>  of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and
>  other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of
>  Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other
>  countries.

 Looks like more X509 encryption sig silliness. Unless the document is a part of a live net application, in which case you use a one time pad, or the actual meta text of the input form is subject to an NDA or other disclosure restriction, there is no need for encryption until SIG HELO. Thats when the key is turned; on public transmission of protected facts. Requiring a separate key to read input requirements is kind of looney. Takes the P right out of PDF if you ask me.

The government should be its own blockchain for this sort of thing. That way it can be causual in distributing its own forms and as parinoid as it wants to about receiving information in that proscribed form.

>So Gimp, Evince, Okular, mupdf, Inkscape, gv and all the others would
>only render the single page warning, and not the 8 expected page form.

Thanks havent looked at Inkscape or mupdf yet. I'll check them out.

TIFF (That Information Form is Free)

My way of saying the internet has a right to information in accessible formats. If the goverments not going to do this, then who is?

;-P on those who don't provide accessible forms, PDF or otherwise.

>cheers,
> Stewart
>---
>Talk Mailing List