[GTALUG] Kernel and/or X upgrade broke my video setup

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Wed Oct 11 18:56:05 EDT 2017

On 11/10/17 12:02 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> This is the output of my xrandr:
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DVI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis
                           \-----------/

This chunk here, tells you what part of the framebuffer the monitor is
occupying. In this case, it's 1920 wide, 1080 tall, and it's top-left
offset is 0,0.

> VGA-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Same here, 1920 wide, 1080 tall, and it's top-left offset is 0,0.So
they're on top of each other, and showing the same video output.

> Before the updates, both screens were able to report maximum resolution
> and even the make/model.

Do you mean that there used to resolutions available higher then 1920x1080?

> Now that's only reported for the main (HDMI-connected) screen
Your Xrandr out does not say your using an HDMI output. Just your VGA
and DVI outputs.

I'm assuming the driver has correct labels for your card. But you could
also be using adapters, or evening the built in support for DVI that is
mandatory HDMI equipment.

Old, but still good explanation:
https://gtalug.org/pipermail/legacy/2013-September/061899.html

> I attach a screenshot of the config window that I once used to make it
> work under KDE.

KDE user here myself, as both monitors are position at 0,0 they are
going to be drawn one on top of the other in the UI. You should be able
to drag the top one off the other. Although, it says their not unified,
so clicking unify, and then 'break unify' (same button, different
states), might pop them apart for you in the UI (does for me at least).

But failing that, there is also the direct approach.

# xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --primary --rotate normal --output VGA-0
--auto --right-of DVI-0

That should put the VGA-0's output on relative right of the DVI-0's
output. This would make VGA-0's size and position 1920x1080+1920+0

--
Scott Sullivan