[GTALUG] Adobe Reader Alternatives for Linux

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 15:05:12 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-11 12:49 PM, Russell wrote:

> Don't laugh, I use GIMP. Not perfect by any means …
Hey, if it works for your application, use it! I tend to find Inkscape
better on most non-weird PDFs.

But Dhaval's example -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0002E-2.pdf - was
definitely weird. Unless you use Adobe Reader or the other proprietary
thing I found, it renders as:

  Please wait...

  If this message is not eventually replaced by the
  proper contents of the document, your PDF
  viewer may not be able to display this type of
  document.

  You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader
  for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
  visiting  http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

  For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit
  http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

  Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark
  of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or
  other countries. Mac is a trademark
  of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and
  other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of
  Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other
  countries.

So Gimp, Evince, Okular, mupdf, Inkscape, gv and all the others would
only render the single page warning, and not the 8 expected page form.

cheers,
 Stewart