[GTALUG] Kernel and/or X upgrade broke my video setup

ac ac at main.me
Wed Oct 11 10:19:28 EDT 2017

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:01:07 -0400
Scott Sullivan via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 11/10/17 09:10 AM, ac via talk wrote:
> > Hi Evan :)
> > i did not bite as I am not that knowledgable on kde...  but as
> > nobody is saying anything maybe try:
> > mv /home/scott/.config /home/scott/oldconfig
> >
> > let us know?
>
> That's a very broad approach with the disadvantage of moving settings
> for a whole lot of unrelated applications.

yep, for good reason...

if the screen config is screwed, then very probably other configs are
similarly screwed...

imho, better to reset to defaults

and then see what needs changing...

> >> What's stranger (to me) is that when logged out (running LightDM)
> >> the system DOES recognize my mouse pointer going from one screen
> >> to the next. So somewhere it IS being recognized as a separate
> >> screen, but once I log in that goes away and I'm back to a
> >> mirroring situation..
> xrandr is command line too for handling multi-monitor arrangements.
> Desktop implement UIs that talk to this functionality, and handle the
> 'memory' of layouts. KDE's for example will remember transient
> moinitor configureations, like my two different laptop docks at home
> and work, and will restore the right layout for each, matching
> against the Vendor IDs of the monitors.

Okay, but after a kernel update / distro update - no configs 'should
have' been over written...

as it seems there has been config changes (both screens are still
working & mouse moves to both screens, etc etc)

> The X Rotation and Reflection extensions are how multi-monitor modes
> are handled. In current times, functionally X has one giant display
> buffer, and monitors are small cutouts of that, arranged relative to
> each other.
>
> This is the output of my currently 'mirrored' two outputs.

cool & good to know :)