[GTALUG] In Conversation

Jason Shaw grazer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:11:16 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Thanks to all those that came out to the GTALUG meeting, and the social
> afterwards. A couple of interesting items came up in conversation, so I
> wish to share the links more broadly.
>
> * Phones
>
> ** Librem 5
>
> https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
>
> Pursim, is a company offering laptops with the most comprehensive
> Free/Libre and Open Source for their hardware (their laptops ship
> CoreBoot). There now trying to do the same for a phone, and have
> successfully funded it's development. KDE and Gnome communities are on
> board for UI development.

As someone who has been interested in Free/Open Source mobile platforms
since I learned about the OpenMoko FreeRunner ( http://openmoko.org
although that appears down) ages ago, and used one for quite a while, It's
refreshing to see more people taking up the torch in the form of the Libre
M.  I've already backed it for a phone because it sounds ideal.

There's also the Neo900 ( https://neo900.org/ ), which has very low specs
compared to modern phones, but has been a long term pet project to
revive/reinvent the glory of the Nokia N900.

I'm currently awaiting Sailfish X's availability in Canada, so that I can
reflash that onto my Sony Xperia X, so that I can have an experience like
the Nokia N9 (imho the best smartphone ever made) running a more pure Linux.

Sad I missed the irl conversation about these devices.