[GTALUG] In Conversation

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Tue Oct 10 23:23:25 EDT 2017

Thanks to all those that came out to the GTALUG meeting, and the social
afterwards. A couple of interesting items came up in conversation, so I
wish to share the links more broadly.

* Computer / Device Firmware

fwupd: Updating Firmware in Linux
https://fwupd.org/
https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devicelist

I wrote about this a few months back when logitech got on board. But the
explosion of UEFI updates for DELL hardware is encouraging. It's nice to
see hardware vendors collaborate with the community to improve this part
of the hardware life-cycle for Linux users.

https://gtalug.org/pipermail/talk/2017-May/004847.html

* Phones

** Librem 5

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Pursim, is a company offering laptops with the most comprehensive
Free/Libre and Open Source for their hardware (their laptops ship
CoreBoot). There now trying to do the same for a phone, and have
successfully funded it's development. KDE and Gnome communities are on
board for UI development.

** Unihertz Jelly

http://www.unihertz.com/spec.html

I tiny, Android 7, 4G LTE smartphone, that fits in your pants coin/watch
pocket. It is feature packed, and I'm enjoying mine. The semi-rigid
rubber case is nice, the armband... not so much.

--
Scott Sullivan