[GTALUG] Video card weirdness

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Oct 10 03:32:46 EDT 2017

Hi all.

This one seems strange.

My home desktop is an up-to-date Linux Mint KDE, with an AMD/ATI Radeon HD
6670.
It drives two ports on the back of the card,
- an HDMI driving an LG monitor
- a VGA port driving a Benq monitor

Until tonight, the video settings allowed me to see both ports and both
screens (even identified the vendors), and I could run them side by side as
one double-width screen.

Tonight, that facility just died, and the computer just blanked for a
moment then displayed a mirror image of the LG onto the Benq. Now systems
settings doesn't even know that the second screen exists.

I've updated all system software, but have not installed any proprietary
drivers. At the AMD site there are proprietary drivers available for
download, but only for Ubuntu 14.04 which is a few years old. And I didn't
need the proprietary drivers when the side-by-side displays were working
fine just a few hours ago.

Any suggestions are welcome.

--
Evan Leibovitch