[GTALUG] MBR and GTP Drives

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:34:49 EDT 2017

I once saw something like that when the disk had a leftover GPT partition
and grub got confused and refused to boot, and fdisk A refused to partition
because it complained about GPT, and gdisk claimed that the disk had MBR
partition scheme.

dd-ing zeroes over the first couple MB (8, IIRC, and overkill) got rid of
the partition, made grub happy and allowed fdisk to partition the disk
without complaining about GPT.