[GTALUG] Dead DVD drive in laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 4 12:49:43 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 05:01:41PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson via talk wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 12:44:17PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> > > I can play movies from a USB stick. I cannot play DVDs with one. A DVD
> > > is not a file; it holds files.
> >
> > A DVD contains multiple files.  Placing all those files in a directory
> > works the same as being on a DVD to many player programs and gives you
> > all the menus and special features and everything.  You simply tell VLC
> > to open the folder, not the file.
>
> If I don't have a DVD player, how can I transfer a DVD to anything?

You get external DVD drive, you use dvdbackup to transfer the disc to
a folder, then bring the folder on your harddisk or a usb key and play
it when you want.

The external DVD drive can stay home unless you plan to transfer a new
DVD while out.

Conviniently external DVD drive can work with a new machine in the future
that does not have an internal DVD drive (seems hardly any do anymore).

--
Len Sorensen