[GTALUG] Dead DVD drive in laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 3 14:56:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 12:44:17PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> I can play movies from a USB stick. I cannot play DVDs with one. A DVD
> is not a file; it holds files.

A DVD contains multiple files.  Placing all those files in a directory
works the same as being on a DVD to many player programs and gives you
all the menus and special features and everything.  You simply tell VLC
to open the folder, not the file.

I find this tool very handy for extracting the files correctly from the
physical DVD:

Package: dvdbackup
Source: dvdbackup (0.4.2-4)
Version: 0.4.2-4+b1
Installed-Size: 234
Maintainer: Stephen Gran <sgran at debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libdvdread4 (>= 4.1.3-4~)
Suggests: libdvdcss2
Description-en: tool to rip DVD's from the command line
 dvdbackup will extract all (or optionally only selected) titles as found
 on the dvd.  It will structure the extracted files in a format suitable for
 burning at a later time with genisoimage and dvdrecord.  Has the advantage of
 being very easy to use, small, and fast.
Description-md5: b4879cb8d0f49e81b7b69c9613032cb1
Homepage: http://dvdbackup.sourceforge.net
Tag: hardware::storage, hardware::storage:dvd, implemented-in::c,
 interface::commandline, role::program, scope::utility, use::converting,
 use::storing, works-with-format::iso9660, works-with::archive,
 works-with::video

Now if your DVD is not a movie DVD, but just data files on a DVD, well
then I don't see a problem with a USB key instead.

--
Len Sorensen