[GTALUG] Firefox memory usage (was GTALUG Meeting on Tuesday 10 October at 7:30pm)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:40:47 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 2:56 PM, ted leslie <ted.leslie at gmail.com> wrote:

> two word solution : tab hibernation. vivaldi, chrome and ff all have
> different solutions, but as i do, with many tabs open 60+, if you don't TH
> your screwed.
> With "great suspender" on chrome, you can custom set up the hibernation,
> it works insanely well. Vivaldi works well out of box with its hibernation,
> ff i am not sure about,
> I use it for certain things so I will have to research what they offer for
> TH.
> But directly to your point, Chrome with GS handles your set up and even
> 10x more! with out even breaking a sweat, and uses about the memory
> required by just the non suspend tabs. I do 60+ tabs on 3 GB ram (vmguest
> 1-2 cpu assignment) no issue.
>
> Interesting points - - - but - - - - when I ran into trouble the one time,
FF crashed, I think I was at 22 windows and something like 350 tabs so even
60+ isn't reassurance. Secondly I decided I didn't want the Alphabet (soup)
company sticking my nose in my business and trying to soak other suckers
for advertising revenue. I was looking for specific kind of product and
spent about 15 or maybe it was even 20 hours of time trying to find it. I
tried searches using every kind of permutation I could think of using ms.
google, I tried phone calls to local in the same generic class of item
suppliers, I used what used to be the american equivalent to Frazers (a
huge 15, or more, volume set of books of suppliers with addresses and line
cards and and and) online search engine. Well I know the product exists - -
- saw it on a number of different manufacturers products in Europe - - -
the worst was getting ads on the wrong stuff attached to everything I was
looking at - - - my email (gmail accounts!), weather information, any other
products I was searching for - - - so I decided I just don't want to be
tracked anymore. Chrome is part of the alphabet soup companies empire so
the second point is that I don't want to be tracked at 'everything' I'm
doing. So even if Chromium (AIUI Chrome only works on M$ systems) were
perfect - - - I would have a very difficult time using it - - - but its not
perfect - - - I did try it at about version 36 to 39 or thereabouts - - -
and it was as much a dog at allowing web searches - - - in fact it crashed
with far fewer tabs and windows.

Regards

Dee