[GTALUG] [GTALUG-Announce] GTALUG Meeting on Tuesday 10 October at 7:30pm

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 07:18:17 EDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2017-09-30 03:15 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> >
> > … in the past have had up to 18 windows
> > open and from 3 to 50+ tabs on any one window.
>
> Could one do useful work with that many pages open at once? Each
> page/tab is effectively a little VM, so you've got hundreds of “users”
> on your system. If just one of those tabs does an image carousel (like
> many news or sales sites), it'll use most of a core to do so, even if
> hidden.

My work flow goes something like this. Working on finding an option
that works better than virtualbox for me. Do a search - - - find an
interesting
webpage. That page refers to something - - - lets say its containers. Then
I open another tab and start looking for containers in linux and some ways
of implementing and controlling. That can easily result in 5 tabs looking
back
and forth for information. Then drilling down I'm looking at lxc/lxd for a
combination. There is the official pages but then I've often found it
useful to
have have others have written on installation first and then use. Getting
20 tabs on this particular example isn't hard at all. After I get something
installed, and that rarely seems straight forward and so the process takes
looking up the 4 or 5 issues that need to be resolved (easily another 3 or
4 tabs if not more) I tend to leave the tabs available. Rereading
information
sites is a way of remembering and reinforcing. Then there are all the other
projects (its rare when I've only got 5 or 6 on the go and sometimes its a
lot
more). I tried using a different window for every meta topic (and Min works
quite well here) but that didn't help. So I try hard to control the tab
proliferation
but I don't seem to be winning often - -- grin!

> I thought I had problems with one tab out of 10 or so in Firefox
> crashing and turning this i7 into a mini space heater, but clearly I
> ain't seen nothing yet …

I do have 6 physical (meaning 12 accessible however that works) cores
available so - -  pedal to the metal!!

For me computers are tools. Software is like functions. When tools don't
work,
for me, either I need a better tool or I need to build a tool. As I'm a
total noob
to programming, and understand that a better browser is quite likely
something
that I'm not really equipped to  create by myself, I choose to challenge
the
incumbents by pointing out what's not working. Except in this case the
incumbents
don't really ever seem to connect with anyone not on the project or at very
least
they sure don't seem to be listening (I think the second is an even more
glaring
fault than the first) so when I read of a very senior member of one of
those
problem tool committees is going to appear out of their gopher hole - - -
-well
I thought it would be worth a question (or three!).

Sorry for throwing the cat into the bathwater!!

Dee