[GTALUG] Build critique request and the story behind it.

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 14:21:33 EST 2017

Top posting this as the hardware build is complete and functioning.

Case = CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO - easy to work in, on and around. Added a Masterliquid 240 water-cooling unit. The rad took up the case mounting holes at the front, so I jury rigged the case fans as pull units. It's called duct tape for a reason :-) I'll cobble up an offset adapter for the original case fans later.

Quiet, you bet. When I fired it up, I had to put my hand on the w/c pump to see if it was really on. 4 fans push/pull @ 850 rpm on the rad keep the temp around 30 c. although there's no real load as of yet. I can't even hear the fans if I listen for them. I have to speed them up manually in bios to hear what they sound like.

CPU = i7-8700 - locked so no overclocking

Asus Prime z370-A - You can get the board today at Canada Computers for $174.00 after 20$ mail in rebate.
I had no problem with the audio codec. It worked right off. Intel UHD graphics seems to have lost DRM support in Fedora 27. It was apparently ok in 25, so something should be available down the road. Had to beef up display graphics capabilities by adding i915.alpha_support=1 to boot. Have to figure out efi & grub2 to make it persistent.

RAM = 1 x 8 DDR4 2666

SSD = Intel 512 Gig - over-provisioned it shows up as 475 Gig. I left an additional 40 Gig undefined. Separate partitions for / (40Gig)& /boot/efi (40Gig) & /swap (16Gig) & /home

I also had to pick up a 500w p/s. My 6+2 power dongle on the existing one showed up on the diagnostic LED's as a CPU fault. I even ordered an RMA label on the CPU before I figured it out. Jumped the gun because of fear of  Christmas congestion.

Thanks Lennart for the upgrade MB suggestion, I thought it was good value at retail. I bought another one on sale yesterday, when I went downtown and got the displayport cable and PSU.

Also thanks Hugh for the SSD wear balancing primer and other suggestions.

True to my word about skinned knuckles, I cut my thumb on the cheap aluminum case insert plate for the external IO.

Fedora boots in 10 sec and journalctl just shows the dbus PCI error which I assume is related to DRM graphics.

Other stuff. I couldn't install the CPU upside-down because the depression for the fan is too far back. Probably meant for a much larger supply. However, I just noticed thumbscrews in an odd location by the PSU and perhaps there is a built in offset for a smaller unit to be able to use the intake filter. Just have to reverse it up.

I haven't totalled receipts yet but I'm within 15% over of my original budget, without a HDD, but with extra features that made to all worthwhile for me.

Cheers
Russell

--
Russell