[GTALUG] Build critique request and the story behind it.

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 09:35:45 EST 2017

On November 17, 2017 11:19:26 AM EST, "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>I'm sorry that I didn't mention this earlier.
>
>One useful site is https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/
>Mind you, I've only used it a few times.
>
>This is supposed to find the best online price for the parts you are
>looking for.  It does not consider physical stores, but many of them
>have an online presence.

Nice web tool. I love the voltage and instant compatibility checker. If it's right, it's what office automation is all about. If it's wrong, caveat emptor, they are a third party.

>Interesting factoid: it no longer considers NCIX and related sites due
>to NCIX's apparent death spiral.
>
>One interesting feature is that you can leave your parts collection on
>pcpartpicker and point others at that list.  With convenient links, it
>is kind of handy for discussions.

Here's my current list. I've ordered the storage already. Both sales ended soon. I also added a modular 500w P/S and a cooling fan pack so I can try out push pull static radiant cooling. It might help to keep fan noise levels down, or not, who can say.

I'm going to drop my current PSU back in a 4u rack I keep for emergencies in order to attempt to ressurect some data.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RQTkFd

Adding in the cost of the LAN case I'm $250 over my price point. However that point didn't figure in the cost of driving from store to store and checking out the deals in 1994 and then ordering and driving back to pick it up. This was all time and money for me back in the day. In 1994 it cost me $50 dollars a day to start my truck, not counting gas.

>My son and I partially collaborated on a system for him using this
>facility (well, the US site because he is in the US).  Now, more than
>a year later, I can still reference that list when he asks me a
>quetion about some part.  (Linux

One thing that confuses me is manufacturing reporting conventions. For instance the DDR4-4000 modules are described as a Column Access Strobe latency of 19. This CPU reports support for DDR4-2666 CAS 15. This number refers to the onboard cache, I think?

I went with a single 8 gig DDR4-2666 module, just to be safe.

I wish I was better at math. I attribute some of my confusion to having been frightened off math by my having viewed  the machine math room at my vocational school. All those heavy welded tables sorting punch cards, all that noise concentrated in a small room brrrr, gave me the willies.

I took electrical wiring (knob and tube) and mechanical drafting instead. I can calculate angles and areas using the tables of a rafter square and I'm getting better at troubleshooting DSDT acpi issues. However, I imagine those issues will be as obsolete as knob and tube wiring soon, if not already.

 support for his AMD video card has
>been a problem.)
>---
>Talk Mailing List
>talk at gtalug.org

Offhand I'm planning to put /home and /opt on the 3TB drive but if you have any recommendations for an optimal partitioning scheme for the SSD, in order to reduce writes as an effort to prolong service life, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
--
Russell