[GTALUG] Build critique request and the story behind it.

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 19:24:41 EST 2017

On November 15, 2017 4:54:50 PM EST, "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>| From: Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
>| Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake 4-Core 3.4 GHz CPU w water cooling unit
>
>I get the feeling (i.e. have not checked) that Intel has introduced
>the 8th generation at similar price points to the 7th, but the 8th has
>two more cores at most levels.  So I'd look at i5-8xxx.

A quick check gets me this combo.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/

and

https://ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

If I keep the same water cooling and take a slight hit on the ram clockwise, this costs out at $27 more than my original. Not too bad for the two extra cores. This bios has all the overclocking geegaws and gimcracks any tweaker would love to have in fron of them. I think I basically gave up optical audio out and the disco flashing led features, I hope.

>The current motherboards for 8th gen are the expensive ones
>and cheaper ones will be introduced (price based on chipset).
>
>Intel probably made the 8th gen a better value than the 7th was
>at its day is that AMD became credible again.
>
>If you are going to use a separate video card, consider looking at AMD
>processors.  If you are just going to use integrated graphics, you have
>go Intel at this time.

Integrated for now. I'm not dealing with any intensive video but I appreciate quality audio and noise cancellation. This board seem to have good internal conditioning. I'm going to check some audio reviews.

>| I follow with interest the posts on UEFI, secure boot, SElinux, USB,
>| udisks, udev, mobile linux and systemd. Now is my time to see if I
>have
>| learned anything.
>
>It mostly just works.  Unless it doesn't.  Or you try to do something
>different.

I think the biggest improvement, for an end user like myself is; the entry level knowledge needs are much lower and the growing user base promotes quicker hardware driver development. Also there is now a much wider base to draw your information from, than even five years ago.

The downside is that for most desktop uses, once I install any GNU Linux for someone, I rarely get service calls. I pulled in my travelling tech for home users shingle a long time ago. Not enough trade to support it. Also I got pretty tired of saying I dont do windows.

Thanks for the great tips.

>---
>Talk Mailing List
>talk at gtalug.org