[GTALUG] Build critique request and the story behind it.

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:51:50 EST 2017

This year I purchased an APC UPS because of my flakey connection to the grid. Ominous read clicks coming from my boot drive cemented that decision. I am happy to say that not only did I avoid my biannual unexpected shutdowns, the UPS also sensed transient RF spikes. It begins to click, switching to the battery and back to mains, even though there is no visible disruption to service, although the emergency lighting in the hallway was triggered and beeped itself on.

I decided to purchase a case and build a new desktop. I waited till now because I was loosely following Sarah Sharp, of Intel and listened to her comments on USB. Version 3.0 is RMA as of Jan this year and her general comment is that hardware development has peaked and so the immediate future is in developing software.

Here is the case I chose. I take delivery tomorrow.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box-haf-series/haf-xb-evo/

Newegg has this combo on offer.

Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake 4-Core 3.4 GHz CPU w water cooling unit

ASUS STRIX H270F GAMING MB

G.SKILL 2 x 8G DDR4

As a creative anachronist or purposefull recycler, I haven't built a complete system from all new parts in a dozen years. I thought I'd get my hand in before arthritis takes over my hardware chops completely.

I'd appreciate any warnings and caveats regarding this combo. I'm still window shopping but what I'm looking for is stability and longevity over gaming. This combo has DDR4 and USB 3.1. I'm kind of fixed on the usb but I'm not married to the ram. So suggestions which lower the cost are most appreciated.

I have a 650w Corsair p/s which is ok but a big factor for me is the ambient noise and recommendations on a quiet supply would be appreciated. Noise is why I'm trying out water cooling.  From the reviews on the case I'll probably have to replace the case fans, but who knows I might get lucky.

I follow with interest the posts on UEFI, secure boot, SElinux, USB, udisks, udev, mobile linux and systemd. Now is my time to see if I have learned anything.

Thanks to all posters.

Regards

--
Russell