[GTALUG] Brand-name desktop recommendation?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Nov 11 13:56:19 EST 2017

FWIW, the brand I have reliably stuck with has been Asus ... as in
motherboards.

The last few desktops I have bought for myself have been from Canada
Computers; I research the individual components (case, CPU, mobo, video,
SSD, etc), and the store will assemble and test together the result for
what I consider a nominal fee. This path also makes it easy to buy a system
without an OS pre-loaded, so I'm not wasting money on a Windows license
I'll not be using; that can be difficult when looking at desktops bought
retail (ie, BestBuy or Costco).

On 11 November 2017 at 12:31, Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Yes, I do have a couple of Compaqs, and I do agree. They do not play well
> with others. They should be ostracised.
>
> I enjoy loading ancient desktops with 500mb ram and getting them to work
> with linux. Puppy will run on near anything.
>
> Don
>
> On 11 November 2017 at 12:25, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2017 11:17 AM, Don Tai wrote:
>> > For me, all desktop brands are interchangeable, as are their components.
>>
>> I guess you don't remember the Compaqs of a few years ago, that often
>> used proprietary parts.
>> ---
>> Talk Mailing List
>> talk at gtalug.org