[GTALUG] Flatpak: Anyone with Experience or Opinions on It?

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Fri Nov 3 13:04:09 EDT 2017

I've long found it disappointing the way shared libraries are dealt with
in linux and other OSs.

To me, the obvious solutions is to install every library into a directory
named for the version, or name the library itself with a version number.
Then, if you wish, a default version can be chosen and linked/symlinked
into the default directory.

That way, a program that wants a particular version gives the
compiler/linker the appropriate search path to find the preferred version.

And of course, once you've built a working version, you can choose to
static link it rather than use shared libraries.

We solved this in the obvious way at UWaterloo in the late 1980's (as
part of xhier).  I still shake my head that this kind of thing is still
a problem.

Cheers!

John