[GTALUG] Flatpak: Anyone with Experience or Opinions on It?

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 11:56:50 EDT 2017

> As an example of the role of distros, consider the Linux Kernel.  It
> used to be common for folks to take the Linus kernel and build it on
> their own machine and use it in place of their distro's kernel.  It
> wasn't too hard.  Linus went to some trouble to make sure a release
> was clean.  I infer that things have changed.  All distros take a raw
> release and fix it up before shipping it.  And you want those fixes.
> It's not impossible to build a Linus kernel and use it but it is
> probably not worthwhile.

Define: all distros :-). Fedora keeps updating to the latest mainline
(stable) and is quite aggressive in its upgrade schedule. RHEL, SLES
(and other enterprise distros) not so much. RHEL and SLES have
different stability models (which require them to backport a lot of
patches). Canonical sticks to one release for its entire release life
(which has them somewhere in between). The kernel is actually a really
terrible example of flatpaks because it doesn't have dependencies like
other packages.

Dhaval